Improving Communication through Knowledge + Experience
If you think the communication environment is getting so complex you practically need a doctoral degree to figure it out...we can help. We are university professors who believe everyone is better served when research breaks out of the academy and is used to strengthen organizations, the people who work for them, and the people served by them.
We help individuals, corporations, agencies, and nonprofit organizations navigate an increasingly complex communication environment, both internal and external. Our programs apply social science knowledge to the challenges involved in working with people and connecting with public audiences. We provide consulting, speaking, coaching, facilitation, and proprietary research services, and are happy to work with you to customize your program.
A sample of available programs are listed below, however, please contact us to discuss additional options.
Strengthening Employee Relationships
Strong employee relationships are vital to the success of an organization. For employees, they lead to greater job satisfaction, motivation, and organizational commitment. For employers, they result in enhanced performance and increased productivity. Communication is arguably one of the most important aspects of employee relations.
In this program, you’ll learn how to:
- Develop employee relationships by increasing perceptions of similarity and relatedness, as well as fostering an appreciation of differences
- Create positive emotional involvement and connection
- Improve listening skills through active listening and by identifying and avoiding the traps related to ineffective/distracted listening
- Understand and become more aware of nonverbal messages and learn how to adapt your own nonverbal behavior to improve work relationships.
Competent Communication in the Workplace
The most successful communicators are both effective and appropriate. This means achieving your goals while at the same time using behaviors that others judge to be appropriate to the situation. This program will help you understand how to assess the communicative situation and to adapt your expectations and behaviors accordingly.
You’ll learn how to:
- Identify the communication context and make decisions about appropriate behaviors based on situational and cultural norms
- Build credibility through verbal and nonverbal communication
- Be assertive (yet likeable)
- Make requests and ask for favors in ways that motivate people to help
- Effectively use different channels of communication (face-to-face, email, messaging, social media) based on the task at hand and the relationships involved
Managing and resolving workplace conflict is one of the biggest challenges faced by organizations today. Yet, conflict is not inherently destructive. If handled successfully, it can lead to personal and organizational growth. This program will provide you with the tools to understand and resolve workplace conflict and increase employee satisfaction.
You’ll gain practical how-to ideas on:
- Identifying, clarifying, and resolving conflict
- Becoming aware of your assumptions
- Having difficult conversations at work
- Avoiding conflict escalation (and how to de-escalate/diffuse an existing conflict)
- Recognizing and managing emotions during conflict, particularly anger and fear
- Assessing personal conflict styles, and exploring ways to resolve conflict with diverse personalities
- How to effectively apologize and repair relationships
Team Building and Communication
The internal environment of a team has a significant impact on team performance. Team building can improve the team environment by enhancing employee relationships and giving them a voice in the communication process. Team building also helps reduce conflict, encourages collaboration, builds trust, and increases employee engagement.
In this program, we’ll cover:
- How to build team cohesiveness and synergy
- Effective brainstorming techniques and how to identify the barriers to creativity
- Problem solving and decision making strategies
- Building trust through information sharing and transparency
- Defining and establishing roles
- Making the most of meetings
- Collaboration techniques
- Shared leadership
We'd love to hear from you.
Please submit your inquires using the form below and we'll contact you to discuss your specific situation.